10 Bible verses for when you're feeling overwhelmed
With everything going on in our world today, it's so easy to feel completely overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by the amount of information we receive, overwhelmed by our emotions, overwhelmed with the state of the world. It's easy to get lost in all of it. With social media and the news at our fingertips, we can constantly stay connected to everything that is happening in the world, good or bad. Unfortunately, the bad seems to outweigh the good most of the time, so it's hard to gain the right perspective when you're feeling so overwhelmed.
I made a promise to myself that I would turn to my bible whenever I'm feeling this way. I haven't been reading my bible very much lately, and the one thing I gained from the hot mess of a year 2020 is that I need to be reading my bible and spending time with the Lord SO much more. It's the best thing we can do right now to find guidance on how to deal with these very stressful and emotional situations.
I have compiled 10 different verses that I found comforting to read as I was overwhelmed a few days ago. My hope is that it can help you too. Also, I've created a downloadable study sheet, which can help you dig in a bit deeper in the word. The sheet provides the following structure for studying:
Scripture: Read the passage in it's entirety and write down a particular verse that speaks to you.
Observation: What made you pick out a specific verse or phrase? Observe what God is trying trying to say to you or note something that you have learned.
Application: How can you apply what you read to your life today? These should be practical things that you can implement now, and things that can be done in the future.
Prayer: Pray over what you have read and ask God to help you apply this into your life.
10 Bible verses to read when you're feeling overwhelmed
1. Matthew 11:28-30 - Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
2. Psalm 4:8 - In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone,Lord, make me dwell in safety.
3. Exodus 33:14 - The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
4. Psalm 23:6 - Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
5. Isaiah 41:10 - So do not fear,for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
6. Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
7. Psalm 94:19 - When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
8. Romans 8:38-39 - For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
9. Philippians 4:6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything,but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
10. 1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
I hope these verses can give you hope, and please know that you are worthy, and you are loved.
Download the free printable by clicking the link below!